Thursday, January 31, 2013

Shrimp Fajitas



Last night I had a craving for Mexican food. I didn't have any tortillas but that's alright, they don't make or break the dish in my mind. Here is how I made my Shrimp Fajitas and the good news is I only had to make enough for me since my family isn't crazy about Fajitas, but I am!

To me Mexican food albeit delicious is pretty simple, they came up with a good thing and just rolled with it. So this recipe is really quite easy to whip together in a few minutes.

Ingredients:

Marinade - 20 Shrimp
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic
fresh cilantro minced
cumin
salt & pepper to taste

Veggies - 1 green pepper
handful of cherry tomatoes
1/2 white or yellow onion
1/2 avocado
1/2 can fat free refried beans

Instructions:

1. Combine all the marinade ingredients including the shrimp in a bowl and set in the refrigerator. (Note* I didn't specify the amount of cumin as it is to your particular taste. I like a lot of this spice as it is basically what gives Mexican food that very specific Mexican flavor)
2. Slice up the green pepper and onion in long strips, leave the tomatoes whole.
3. Add some olive oil to your cast iron skillet and heat, once it is good and hot add in your veggies. Toss them around with your spatula some but also let them sit a little so they acquire a blackened outside, the tomatoes will begin to liquefy a bit inside their skin...delicious!
4. Add in your shrimp with the marinade mixture, shrimp cook very quickly so that's why you add them after the veggies. Flip the shrimp so they turn pink on both sides, mix everything around to ensure emulsion of the ingredients and even cooking.
5. Remove skillet from heat as soon as shrimp are cooked. (Note* over cooked shrimp get rubbery, once they are thoroughly pink they are done)

6. Serve with refried beans and sliced avocado, if you want to roll up your fajitas in warm tortillas then do so, I just ate mine with a fork this time.

(Note* I use fresh garlic sometimes but I love the kind you get in a jar, to me it's easy and flavorful and lasts a very long time)

No comments:

Post a Comment